Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mom Clothes

Nineteen + months have passed since I became a mother and I must admit I have really been struggling with what I should be wearing. First it was the nursing dilemma, where every top I wore had to have "easy access". Then came the "muffin top" situation which I'm still somewhat dealing with. And now my problem is this darn heat and an active toddler who loves to be outside. I need some clothes I can sweat my butt off in, toss in the wash, and keep all my jiggly parts contained:) And without looking like an unkept mom who doesn't take any pride in her appearance. I would still like to be a little stylish. Some days I get so frustrated and then I get sad that I don't get to dress up on a daily basis like the rest of the working world does. Most days (like today) I don't even have time to take a shower in the morning. I get about 15 minutes to, dress, wash my face, put on mascara, and sprinkle a dab of baby powder on my scalp to absorb the grease from yesterday! Sounds yummy!

So today, I caved. While thinking about this problem over the past few weeks, I've come to the realization that at this stage of my life "active wear" might be the best solution for my everyday "mom uniform". I really don't like this, because I've always thought workout clothes should be reserved for working out. I never understood when some of my friends would by "cute" sneakers, NOT meant for working out in. I've always been my happiest in a good fitting pair of jeans, a cute top, and nice shoes with a small heel. That still sounds good for going out to dinner, but it doesn't work so well chasing Brady around the playground or at mommy & me gymnastics!

I recently discovered Athleta website (owned by Gap). And this afternoon I ordered 2 tops and a pair of bermuda shorts. Please don't remind me that they look like sweatpants - at least they are stylish sweatpants. Hopefully when the weather cools off around here (probably not till December!) I won't be as frustrated by all this. Or maybe I will have come to terms with my new wardrobe by that point in time:)

Here's what I bought...



They're not too bad, right?? {{crickets}}
Just don't laugh at me when you run into me in the grocery store.

5 comments:

Britni said...

I'm so glad to know that you do the baby powder trick!! Once I start my SAHM days we may be buying baby powder in bulk :) And don't worry - if I run into you in the grocery store I will be wearing the same thing!!

Erin said...

I am having the same problems!! All my pre baby stuff is way to not mom looking and now I am stuck. I need to loose more weight and I hate the in between. I actually love what you picked out!!

Momma Rhyne said...

New follower!! Love your blog! And I know all too well your dilema! I have so many pairs of pants for all my different sizes, (pre-preg, preg, post, nursing, etc). But I love the work out look, that is pretty much what you are doing anyway chasing a toddler around. Blessings!!

Lindsay said...

Loving your blog. Your son is gorgeous! Love his red hair! :)

Anonymous said...

I think active wear is great! As a mom that works from home, there's nothing I would rather wear besides bermuda shorts and flip flops.