Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Randomness

Last time I tried sewing something was about 3 years ago. I made an apron, and was so tired and frustrated by the time I was done, I swore off the hobby completely. However, I decided to dust off my old machine one more time in hopes of customizing our baby's nursery and making it unique. Normally my perfectionism would get the best of me and I would have given up before even starting such a daunting project. I discovered the Nester a while ago, who's blog is so inspirational.  She "mistreats" her windows which all turn out beautifully. So I decided to give it a try as well. Not only did I decide to "mistreat" the nursery window, but also the crib skirt. But I must warn you...the window is far from being done. I have the valance done, but I am still working on the drapery panels which will hang in front. The Nester's philosophy is "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful" which I kept repeating to myself every time I would make a sewing mistake.

Notice the valance is not on a rod...I used the Nester's trick of just tacking it up above the window with upholstery tacks. I plan on using some safety pins to pin down the "folds" a little better. 

Sitting on the glider over there in the corner is the beginning of one of the drapery panels...........What's that you say? You want to see our new glider? OK, let me go clean it off..................Here she is. I so desperately wanted it in a tan fabric that had little raised polka dots all over it, but Rob wouldn't go for it...bah humbug, so I had to settle for this lovely poop color. But it is definitely very comfortable. 

Here's the crib skirt I half-way "mistreated". I just took my fabric, pressed the top edge 1/2in. under, hand basted it so I could "scrunch" it together, then sewed a piece of velcro to the back of each piece ( I stuck the other piece to the metal mattress frame ). I also only made a "skirt" for 3 of the sides....who will ever notice the back piece is missing anyway? I do have to admit that I didn't totally "mistreat" it...I did take the time to hem the sides and bottom of each piece. Also, it hangs about 2 inches above the ground. I would have preferred to have it touch the ground, however, the mattress is currently on its highest setting. As we lower it to accommodate the growing baby, it will eventually hit the ground. 

And an up close shot. Ignore the stark white mattress and all the stuffed animals...I still need to add the crib sheet and finish organizing!

Also, here's a picture of le bebe's closet. Rob worked very hard installing new shelving and I patched and painted all the old holes from the old & disfunctional shelving. BTW the baby has a TON more clothes than this...I just ran out of hangers!

I still have a lot more to write about, but it will have to wait. I have some "homework" still to do before we meet the doula tomorrow and I need to get my beauty rest! If I haven't posted anything new in the next few days, someone please email me and tell me to get with it! I don't want to be a blogging failure anymore!

No comments: